Let us join the families of Valentine Von Huss and Barbara and Catrina Zerwe and John George Meyer as they made their way to the tiny church at Tulpehocken for a double wedding, presided over by the Reverend Casper Stoever, the first ordained Evangelical German Lutheran Minister in America.
|Nearby Indian Fort on Mill Creek|
Few historical dates before 1800 are supported by records. This one is.
On December 22nd, 1746, Valentine Von Huss married Maria Barbara Zerwe (Zerbe) in a Lutheran ceremony at Tulpehocken, Pennsylvania. The ceremony took place at Christ Little Tulpehocken Church, officiated by the Reverend Casper Stoever, who recorded the event for posterity. Reverend Stoever was, like the bride's family, from the Palatinate Region, a historical territory of the Holy Roman Empire.
Two weddings took place that day. The other being the wedding of Barbara's sister Catrina to John George Meyer.
Like Barbara’s parents, The Reverend Stoever was from the Palatinate region of Germany.
Barbara’s father Johannes Jacob Zerbe, and mother, Maria Catherine Leick (Lauk) came to America sometime prior to 1718, transported by the English. Johannes and Catherine wanted to escape recurrent French invasions, and were lured by promises of religious freedom and encouraged by the hope of free land. They landed along the Hudson River at Livingston Manor in New York.
Jacob and Catherine married and all their children were born there (1718 until 1725), save Barbara’s sister Catrina. No records at this time support this, but there is no reason to doubt it.
Jacob and Catherine endured seven year at East Camp, Livingston Manor, a period that fits nicely with the idea that they signed emigration contracts as indenture servants. These contracts provided that "seven years after they had forty acres a head given to them.” "East Camp" and "West Camp" on opposite sides of the Hudson River were established residences for the new colonists.
[The mercenary English transported Palatinate Protestants to their American colonies out of a need for pine tar. Pine pitch some called it, a necessary naval store the British desperately needed to keep their ships afloat.]
There is no record that Jacob and Catherine received their 40 acres a head of the more than 160,000 acres that then made up Livingston Manor. Instead they joined dozens of other Zerwes who settled in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvana and the area around Tulpehocken Creek.
Coincidentally they became neighbors of the family of Daniel Boone. Indeed the Lutherans who built their church at Tulpehocken had by 1727 petitioned the officials in Philadelphia "for a road to the high road at the Quaker Meeting House near Boone's Mill at Oley."
First Tulpehocken Church
Secondary source for marriage.